Thursday, February 27, 2020

Lent and Gratitude Writing

It is the season of lent.  My daughters and I were discussing our spiritual practices for the upcoming season.  One of my daughters, my 15 year old, is preparing to give up meat.  I think I might follow her.  I decided I would not buy any coffee out anywhere since that is a place that I can blow some money.  I also saw someone else's idea to do a daily writing of gratitude letters that you send to a person.  That one struck a cord with me.  I plan to do that.  So I will begin today by thinking of the 40 people that I plan to write letters to. I am excited about this opportunity and hope to make this a daily practice.
Rob
Emma
Isabella
Mom
Dad
Jennifer
Julie
Gordon and Kathy
Mary Lou
Peggy
Jessica
Robin
Annie
Laura
Heather G
Heather W
Denise
Kathy
Pastor Tommy
Charette
Jennifer S.
Samantha
Deirdre
Becky and Pirate Granny
Teresa
Toni
Trisha and Jerry
Patty C.
Lou and Pat
Cooper
Jesse
Jerome
Alekai
Beau
Rachel
Amber
Emily
Ashley
Cecilia
Daryl

Dear Daryl,
I wanted to take this opportunity during Lent to write letters to 40 different people to show my gratitude.  You are on my list of people for whom I am grateful.  My life is busy with my two kids, working as a counselor, and working toward licensure for my counseling license.  Therefore, without a village I know my kids would not be making the progress they are now.  Emma absolutely adores you.  You are on her short list of most influential important people.  I have teachers like that, too but not many.  You have inspired her to follow her passion in music.  You have created safe spaces for her to be accepted and to accept others.  I hope she always stays in contact with you because if she followed a similar life trajectory as you-following your passion in music, helping others, traveling, staying in close relationship with family, and living life with zest...well, I would be darn happy.  I don't know how much you know about Bella, but she has always required more energy and more of everything we have to give as parents and I often wonder how that impacts Emma.  You know Emma; she's so flexible that she has never once complained but as a mom I worry that she doesn't get the same level of energy from us.  That's a huge reason I am thankful for you and what you mean to her.  You mean a lot to me, too.  We are not able to show our gratitude in extravagant ways but hopefully these words will let you know that we are so thankful.
Sincerely, SB

Dear Teresa,
I wanted to take a moment to tell you how much I appreciate the work you do.  I know the countless hours that go in over the actual hours and it's too many!  I appreciate that you are always working to cross every t and dot every i for kids.  You have been such a support to Bella and to me and I just want you to know that I am so very thankful for you for that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lent and Gratitude Writing

It is the season of lent.  My daughters and I were discussing our spiritual practices for the upcoming season.  One of my daughters, my 15 y...